• Bruce Kirchoff
  • Bruce Kirchoff
  • BIO
  •  
  • Professor
  • kirchoff@uncg.edu
  • 404 Eberhart Building
  •  
  • At UNCG Since:
  • Visual Learning Fellow

• Bruce Kirchoff
  • Visual Learning Fellow

•  
  •  
  • Why Teaching?
  •  
  • Why Botany?
  • Because Plants are Cool! There is even a YouTube channel by that name: Plants are Cool, Too. Well, OK, Dr. Chris Martine added “too” to my perfectly good slogan, but we can forgive him for that. He has made some really great videos, and is the only other winner of the Botanical Society of America’s Bessey Teaching Award, and the American Association of Plant Taxonomists Innovations in Plant Systematics Education Prize. Could he have won those awards if he was studying herpetology? Organic chemistry?? Physics??? I think not! Only plants have the requisite coolness.

Even Koalas hang out on cool(er) plants (http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-koalas-stay-cool-by-hugging-trees-20140604-story.html) to keep their temperature down. The study of botany is one of the most intrinsically exciting fields of science.
  •  
  • Why a Teaching Innovations Fellowship?
  • Because, if you want to change the world you have to start someplace, and the best place to start is where you are. I am at UNCG and the good people at the Teaching Innovations Office are so much fun to work with, and so competent in what they do that, when they offered me a Fellowship, I had to say YES!
  •  
  • What one thing you would change about UNCG?
    1. 1) I would build a really great coffee shop on Tate St. so that we could all stop and relax during our hectic days and have a cup of joe. – No wait! That already happened!
    2. 2) OK, I would increase every student’s exposure to international perspectives, and give them the chance to study abroad. – No wait! That already happened!
    3. 3) OK, I would create a really great computer support system so that all a faculty member or student had to do was to pick up a phone or stop by a desk in the library to be connected to someone who would not only help them solve their computer problems, but would actually do the work for them! – No wait! That already happened!
    4. 4) OK, I got it now, I would completely redo the master campus plan so that there was a sense of presence to the campus and both the students and faculty felt more “at home” while on campus, and that visitors really felt that they had arrived at a first-class university. – No wait!!! That already happened too!
    5. 5) I give up! – This is a pretty good place already. What would YOU change?
  •  
  • What’s Next?
  • Today, UNCG. Tomorrow, THE WORLD! {maniacal laugh} We are going to change the way we think about learning by placing an emphasis on visual learning. Get on board now. It is going to be a great ride http://metisllc.com/!
  •