• Chiaki Takagi
  • Chiaki Takagi
  • LLC
  •  
  • Lecturer
  • c_takagi@uncg.edu
  • 2321 MHRA
  •  
  • At UNCG Since:
  • Global Engagement Fellow

• Chiaki Takagi
  • Global Engagement Fellow

•  
  • Faculty Groups: Global Engagement  
  •  
  • Why Teaching?
  • I absolutely love my job! Teaching is learning, and I feel that I am very fortunate to be able to share my knowledge, ideas, thoughts and experience with students and also learn from them. I am interested in learning about different cultures and acquiring knowledge, skills, and multiple perspectives to contribute to society as a global citizen. Without hesitation, I can say that my everyday life is a precious process of global learning for me and I endeavor to share this with my students.

Before coming to UNCG, I was a teacher of Japanese language and culture for 10 years, teaching elementary school children at a global magnet school. Here at UNCG, I am a member of the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures and serve as the director of Japanese Studies. Within a diverse department, I enjoy working with colleagues with different cultural backgrounds, sharing common goals to provide dynamic instruction that enhances students’ global education.
  •  
  • Why Japanese Studies?
  • I aimed to become an English teacher in Japan and came to the United States seeking international experience. I received a Master’s degree in African American Literature and studied Post-colonial theory and Literatures for my Ph.D. Through the academic learning process as well as professional and personal experiences, I have realized that learning new cultures involves re-learning one’s own culture and teaching one’s own culture adds a new dimension to one’s own global awareness.
  •  
  • Why an FTLC Fellowship?
  • I am attracted to the idea that the university must be a “learning organization” for all members of the campus community and I am very eager to be a part of the FLTC as an organizer of global learning opportunities. My expertise as a foreign language instructor as well as my experience as an international student and scholar will contribute to the university’s missions of diversity and global engagement.
  •  
  • What one thing would you change about UNCG?
  • We need to expand our community engagement. Community engagement also offers faculty opportunities to work together across disciplines. For example, I would love to organize a “Japanese House.” The Japanese House with a library, a Japanese tea room, a calligraphy room, and a Japanese garden! It would be an oasis for learners of Japanese and also be a great field trip destination for people from community. The house will host monthly community discussions on the inspirational topics including nature, sustainability, art, health and so on, to which faculty across disciplines can contribute.
  •  
  • What’s Next?
  • I have been working on incorporating sustainability in the Japanese curriculum. This year I will redesign my writing course with a sustainability element.
  •