• Susan Phillips
  • Susan Phillips
  • CSD
  •  
  • Associate Professor
  • slphilli@uncg.edu
  • 337 Ferguson Building
  •  
  • At UNCG Since: 1999
  • Mentoring Fellow

• Susan Phillips
  • Mentoring Fellow

•  
  • Faculty Groups: Faculty Mentoring  
  •  
  • Why Mentoring?
  • Mentoring is an excellent way to build community while supporting new faculty on the stressful path to tenure. Our program provides both individual and group mentoring. Our data show that retention rates for faculty who participate in a mentoring program are far higher (92%) than for those who do not (58%). The numbers are equally impressive for African-American, Hispanic and International faculty, who particularly appreciate the opportunity to find a set of supportive colleagues.
  •  
  • Why Audiology?
  • My research in the genetics of noise-induced (or music-induced) hearing loss has been supported by NIDCD funding. I bring my research into my teaching through virtual labs online and my clinical experience through discussing examples of actual patients. I enjoy one-on-one mentoring of students as well, which is why advising is one of my favorite things to do.
  •  
  • Why a Teaching Innovations Fellowship?
  • I’m delighted to be working with the Teaching Innovations Office to continue the good work of the UNCG New Faculty Mentoring Program. It’s particularly exciting because many of our former new faculty participants will be mentors this year. Being able to interact with Fellows who are creating the expansion of mentoring opportunities to non-tenure track and senior faculty is also exciting.
  •  
  • What one thing you would change about UNCG?
  • I’d like to see UNCG create more opportunities for faculty to develop community on campus. I think the Mentoring Program has made a good start on that. The expansion of mentoring opportunites to senior faculty and non-tenure track faculty will create a blossoming effect that I believe will raise morale and help us support each other through difficult financial times.
  •  
  • What’s Next?
  • A new book on faculty mentoring, written by myself and Susan Dennison and published by Stylus, will be coming out in July (Faculty Mentoring: A Practical Manual for Mentors, Mentees, Administrators and Faculty Developers). I expect to learn a lot this year from the newly minted senior faculty mentors, so we will be taking notes for a second edition!
  •