• Yekaterina Colon
  • Yekaterina Colon
  • LLC
  •  
  • Lecturer
  • yvcolon@uncg.edu
  • 2321 MHRA
  •  
  • At UNCG Since:
  • Global Engagement Fellow

• Yekaterina Colon
  • Global Engagement Fellow

•  
  • Faculty Groups: Global Engagement  
  •  
  • Why Teaching?
  • I always wanted to become a teacher. Education was very important in my family and educating others was considered one of the highest callings. After finishing High school, I enrolled into Moscow Pedagogical (Teacher Training) University and got a degree in teaching Geography and English Language. My first teaching experience came during my graduate studies at Florida State University where I began teaching elementary Russian language classes to American students. I found it so interesting and rewarding that I never looked back.
  •  
  • Why Russian?
  • I find that teaching my native language is very fulfilling. I love to see my students progress from being afraid of strange-looking Cyrillic letters to being able to express ideas and opinions in the language. I also get to share many cultural aspects of Russian life with the students. Some of them chose Russian as their Minor and travel to Russia or live there for a number of years. I feel that by teaching a foreign language I also give students the opportunity to appreciate another culture that they otherwise would not know.
  •  
  • Why a Teaching Innovations Fellowship?
  • This position is an excellent place to share and exchange ideas with other faculty members as well as offer my own knowledge and experience in international matters. Another aspect of this position I find exciting is that the Global Engagement Fellow will serve as a liaison between the QEP Steering Committee, International Programs, and the Teaching Innovations Office. I would like to be more directly involved with these campus organizations and see if I can contribute with my time, knowledge and energy to the success of their existing and future programs. I believe it would also be helpful for the LLC as a whole to participate in more global-oriented activities.
  •  
  • What one thing you would change about UNCG?
  • I would increase UNCG outreach to key individuals in the local community from various international backgrounds. I have been a part of several events organized by Global Village that invited foreign-born people who live locally to share their experiences and talents with the students. Those events exposed the students to a variety of unique cultural experiences and perspectives. The language students were particularly interested and gave strong positive feedback. I hope there is a way to make these events more frequent and to increase awareness of them to attract more participants.
  •  
  • What’s Next?
  • I am developing the first Russian on-line class and looking forward to working with Teaching Innovations Office and other Fellows this academic year.
  •